Annual Meetings of Oberlin Group Directors
- 2023 The Claremont Colleges Library
- 2024 Kenyon/Denison
2023 Annual Meeting
This is the official event page for the 2023 Oberlin Group of Library Directors Annual Meeting, hosted by The Claremont Colleges Library (800 N Dartmouth Ave, Claremont, CA 91711).
The 2023 Oberlin Group of Library Directors Annual Meeting will take place from October 22-24, 2023.
- Sunday, October 22 – DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
- Monday & Tuesday, October 23-24 – Each day will begin and primarily take place in the Hampton Room at Scripps College, but will also include tours and other activities.
Annual Meeting Information
This year’s theme is Stronger Together: The Power of Consortial Collaboration. We are looking forward to you visiting sunny So Cal and joining us to explore ways that consortial collaborations can help streamline and elevate the work of libraries.
We are using the Sched platform so you can easily:
- Register and pay for the event ($375) – Please Note: Once you complete the registration and payment the Oberlin Group has a no refunds policy.
- Browse the schedule/agenda – this will continue to be updated so please check back for more information; you can also find details on getting between the hotel and annual meeting location(s) here.
- Explore speaker backgrounds
Please explore the sections below for additional information, such as hotel accommodations and airport recommendations.
A block of rooms has been reserved for attendees at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Claremont, located at 555 W. Foothill Blvd., Claremont, CA 91711. A standard room (double/king) will cost $159 per night plus tax. This rate is valid for stays between October 21, 2023 and October 26, 2023. Click here to book at this rate and, should you need it, the group code is “OGB”. Please book your room by September 29, 2023 to receive this room rate.
PLEASE NOTE: Your name badges and attendee packets will be available for pick-up upon check-in.
Parking is free at this hotel. Check-in is at 4 p.m. and check-out is at 12 p.m. Have additional questions about the hotel? Visit their website or call 909-626-2411.
While So Cal offers a variety of airports to fly into, the Ontario International Airport (ONT) is closest to The Claremont Colleges and is about a 10-mile drive (approximately 20 minutes) from the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont.
Other nearby Airports include:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) – 49.9 miles
- Bob Hope/Burbank Airport (BUR) – 41.2 miles
- Long Beach Airport (LGB) – 40.5 miles
- John Wayne/Orange County Airport (SNA) – 38.2 miles
Between Airport and Hotel
The Ontario International Airport website provides a great overview of various transportation options available to you during your stay, including access to our local bus system Foothill Transit and ride-share services such as Lyft and Uber. Please note that DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont is not currently operating hotel shuttle service to/from the airport at this time.
Renting a vehicle would provide you with the quickest travel time and allow you additional flexibility to explore Claremont. Should you elect to drive, here are driving directions to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont:
From the San Bernardino Freeway (Interstate 10)
- Take the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10) to Exit 47: Indian Hill Blvd.
- Head north on Indian Hill Blvd for 1.7 miles
- Turn left onto Foothill Blvd / Historic Route 66
- The hotel will then be on your right-hand side in about 0.2 miles, where you can turn right into the parking lot area.
From the Orange Freeway (California State Route 57)
- Take the Orange Freeway (CA-57) north to the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10)
- Exit East onto the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10) to Exit 47: Indian Hill Blvd.
- Head north on Indian Hill Blvd for 1.7 miles
- Turn left onto Foothill Blvd / Historic Route 66
- The hotel will then by on your right-hand side in about 0.2 miles, where you can turn right into the parking lot area.
From the Foothill Freeway (Interstate 210)
- Take the Foothill Freeway (I-210) to Exit 50: Towne Avenue
- South on Towne Avenue for 0.9 miles
- Left on Foothill Blvd / Historic Route 66
- The hotel will then be on your left-hand side in about 0.7 miles, where you can turn left into the parking lot area.
Between Hotel and Event Venue
Please refer to the options listed in the online schedule/agenda.
About The Claremont Colleges Library and The Claremont Colleges
The Claremont Colleges Library serves The Claremont Colleges consortium. We offer a wealth of resources to support the research and learning taking place across the colleges. This includes over 1 million books, nearly 2 million items in digital collections, approximately 200,000 Special Collections & Archives volumes from around the world dating from the 10th to the 21st centuries, holdings of rare books, manuscripts and artifacts from China, Japan and Korea through our Asian Library, more than 15,000 items in the Library’s institutional repository, Scholarship@Claremont, and more!
The Claremont Colleges includes five undergraduate liberal arts colleges and two graduate institutions: Pomona College, Claremont Graduate University, Scripps College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College and Keck Graduate Institute (check out the brochure). Located on contiguous campuses in the Southern California city of Claremont, each institution has its own student body, faculty, governance, curricular emphasis, culture and mission. Intercollegiate cooperation provides university-scale services and facilities. With 9,000 students and 3,600 faculty and staff, located on more than 540 acres of land, The Claremont Colleges benefit from the diverse missions, character and culture, as well as the integration of academic and extracurricular programs that make up this truly unique consortium.
Welcome to the City of Claremont, California
Welcome to Claremont, an idyllic college town embellished with lush trees and captivating architectural gems. Take a leisurely walk through the vibrant downtown Village, bustling with a charming array of locally owned boutiques and delightful eateries.
Here are a few dining recommendations to get you started:
- The Back Abbey (gastro-pub), 128 N Oberlin Ave, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 625-2642
- Bardot (fusion), 206 W Bonita Ave., Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 621-2255
- Eureka (American) 580 W 1st St, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 445 8875
- 50-Fifty (Asian Fusion), 201 N Indian Hill Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 621-5599
- Gus’s BBQ (southern), 500 W First Street, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 445-0931
- Kazama Sushi (Sushi), 101 N Indian Hill Blvd, Suite C1, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 450-2505
- Saca’s Mediterranean Cuisine (Mediterranean), 248 W 2nd St, Claremont 91711, (909) 624-3340
- Tutti Mangia Italian Grill (Italian), 102 Harvard Ave N, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 625-4669
- Union on Yale (Eclectic wood-fired pizza & other plates), 232 N Yale Ave, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 833-5104
- Viva Madrid (Spanish), 225 N Yale Ave, Suite B, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 624-5500
- Walter’s (Eclectic fare from Mexican omelets to pastas & Afghan dishes), 310 Yale Ave, Claremont, CA 91711, (909) 624-2779
Begin your exploration of our charming city today with Discover Claremont, your ultimate guide to all things Claremont. If you arrive in Claremont early, you’ll also be able to enjoy the Claremont Chamber of Commerce Annual Village Venture Arts & Crafts Faire on Saturday, October 21, 2023 (keep an eye out for information about the event on the website).
You can also check out the following resources to learn more about Claremont and fun things to enjoy during your stay:
- Claremont Chamber of Commerce – Find places to visit and discover events happening in Claremont.
- Farmers and Artisans Market – Founded in 1996 as a small gathering of local farmers in a local parking lot, this has evolved into one of the area’s largest and most respected farmers markets in eastern Los Angeles County and takes place Sundays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- California Botanic Garden – This 86-acre botanic garden is dedicated exclusively to California’s native plants and is a short walk away from DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont.
- Claremont Hills Wilderness Park – Opened in 1996 with 1,440 acres, this wilderness park was dedicated as a City Nature Park in 1997.
2022 Smith/Amherst/Mt. Holyoke
Now that we are beginning to launch the fall semester we wanted to send one more reminder that Registration for Oberlin 2022 is open! This is the first time since 2019 that the annual directors’ meeting will be held in person. So far 52 Directors have registered to participate in person.
Please register and make hotel reservations at the Hotel Northampton by September 3rd to receive the conference rate.
The 2022 Oberlin Annual Directors’ Meeting is being hosted by Amherst, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges this fall on October 3-5.
Please join Oberlin Library directors to explore the role of libraries in the future of higher education. Elliot Felix, founder of higher ed strategy consultancy brightspot will be our keynote speaker.
The conference will be held on a different campus each day to give us an opportunity to experience our campus environments. Mount Holyoke will host on Monday, Smith on Tuesday, and Amherst on Wednesday. For directors unable to attend in person, the business meeting will be streamed. In addition, several sessions will be streamed for all staff.
The conference hotel is the Hotel Northampton – a lovely, historic hotel.
Please let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to seeing you in the “Happy Valley” this October!
Susan, Alex, and Martin
2021 Virtual - October 12-14
Virtual Meeting – October 12-14
2020 Virtual Meeting - October 18-20 + topic-oriented webinar sessions (Aug-Nov 2020)
2019 Oberlin Group of Libraries Annual Meeting
osted by Bucknell University
Held at the Ellen Clarke Bertrand Library/Bucknell University
The guide for the Oberlin Group 2019 Directors meeting on the Bucknell page was available here.
Scheduled immediately following From Wonder to Action: the Journey of Digital Scholarship; Bucknell University’s sixth annual Digital Scholarship Conference held Friday, Saturday and Sunday, October 11, 12 and 13, 2019.
List of Attendees:
Code of Conduct:
Schedule of Events – (pdf available Program)
|Sunday||October 13, 2019|
|12:00noon – 2:00pm||Oberlin Group Board of Directors (President’s Dining Room)|
|2:00pm – 3:00pm||Lever Press (Walls Lounge)|
|3:00pm – 4:00pm||Lever Press Oversight Committee (Walls Lounge)|
|3:30pm – 4:30pm||Orientation for New Directors (Room 241 B-C)|
|5:30pm – 8:00pm||Recption & Dinner (Iron Front, 434 Market Street, Suite 301, Lewisburg)|
|Monday||October 14, 2019|
|8:00am – 8:30am||Breakfast (Terrace Room)|
|8:45am – 9:00am||Welcome – President of Bucknell University (Walls Lounge)|
|9:00am – 11:30am||Strategic Planning (Walls Lounge) – Draft Strategic Plan|
|11:30am – 1:00pm||
Lunch – Birds of a Feather Tables (Terrace Room) – there will be two rounds: 11:30-12:15 and 12:15-1:00. The Topics will be:
|1:00pm – 3:00pm||Business Meeting (Walls Lounge) – Draft Agenda and Draft Annual Report (including the minutes of the 2018 meeting starting on page 10)|
|3:00pm – 3:30pm||Break|
|3:30pm – 5:00pm||
The Changing Workforce (Terrace Room)
Preparing the Next Generation for Leadership – Dr. Jolie Graybill, Assistant Director, Minitex, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
Dr. Jolie Graybill will present on her research on Millennials and their perceptions of leadership and their development needs. She’ll be sharing information on what she has learned and implications it may have for directors/deans/head librarians in preparing succession planning and leadership development. Her presentation will be followed by a conversation with Irene Herold about Millenials, GenXers, and Baby Boomers and then a Q&A from the group.
|5:00pm – 6:00pm||Bertrand Library Tour & Group Photo (Bertrand Library Main Entrance)|
|6:00pm – 6:30pm||Reception (Terrace Room)|
|6:30pm – 8:00pm||Dinner (Terrace Room)|
|Tuesday||October 15, 2019|
|7:15am – 7:45am||Breakfast (Terrace Room)|
|8:00am – 10:00am||Strategic Planning (Terrace Room) – Draft Strategic Plan Directions|
|10:00am – 11:30am||Lightning Round (Terrace Room)|
|11:30am – 12:00noon||Boxed Lunches Available for Pickup (Second Floor Lobby)|
|1:00pm – 2:30pm||Oberlin Group Board of Directors (President’s Dining Room)|